Raging Tempest: It Came From the Deep…
When we said that one of the strongest monsters that will be released in 2017 has no effect, we weren’t kidding. Sea Monster of Theseus is a Fusion Monster with 2200 ATK, 1800 DEF, and a blank space where a monster’s effect would normally go. Why is such a monster even a contender for the title? Read on to find out!
With Fusion Monsters, how good they are is often more of a function of what they are and how easy they are to Summon than what they actually do. Fusionist and Dragoness the Wicked Knight didn’t make top cut Decks because of their powerhouse abilities, they made it because they had desirable Attributes, Levels, and the ability to be Summoned with Instant Fusion to become a combo piece. Instant Fusion has taken the place of a lot of different combo pieces in a lot of incredibly powerful Decks over the past 5 years, but there’s one thing that it’s never been able to take the place of, until now!
You can Fusion Summon Sea Monster of Theseus by fusing together two Tuners with Polymerization, but chances are you won’t. Since Sea Monster of Theseus is a Level 5 monster, you can Special Summon it simply by activating Instant Fusion and giving up 1000 Life Points. There are lots of monsters – including Level 5 monsters – that can be Summoned with Instant Fusion, but none of them are a Tuner.
Activate Instant Fusion to Special Summon Sea Monster of Theseus, and then the possibilities become endless! Combine it with a Level 5 monster to Xyz Summon a Rank 5 monster, or Tune it with just about any non-Tuner to Synchro Summon your Synchro Monster of choice.
Just running through all the possible Synchro levels, there are a lot of moves you can make by combining Sea Monster of Theseus with some cards that are already popular:
- Tune Sea Monster of Theseus with a Level 1 monster like Raremetalfoes Bismugear or Neptabyss the Atlantean Prince to Synchro Summon a Level 6 Synchro Monster like Coral Dragon.
- Tune Sea Monster of Theseus with a Level 2 monster like Metalfoes Steelen, Dupe Frog or Swap Frog to Synchro Summon a Level 7 Synchro Monster like Black Rose Dragon or Black Rose Moonlight Dragon. In the latter cases you can even Summon Gungnir, Dragon of the Ice Barrier.
- Tune Sea Monster of Theseus with a Level 3 monster like Majespecter Raccoon – Bunbuku, Metalfoes Silverd, or Atlantean Marksman to Synchro Summon a Level 8 Synchro Monster like PSY-Framelord Omega, Crimson Blader, or Scarlight Red Dragon Archfiend.
If the Level 3 monster that you Tune it with is a Pendulum Monster, you can even Synchro Summon Ignister Prominence, the Blasting Dracoslayer. Level 3 is definitely one of the strongest Levels to combine it with.
- Tune Sea Monster of Theseus with a Level 4 monster like Performage Trick Clown, Photon Thrasher, Fairy Tail – Snow, or Zombie Master to Synchro Summon a Level 9 Synchro Monster like Vermillion Dragon Mech. This is probably the weakest Level to combine it with.
- If you Tune Sea Monster of Theseus with two other monsters whose total Levels are equal to 4 (for example, by Tuning Sea Monster of Theseus with a Level 3 Dandylion and a Level 1 Fluff Token), you can Synchro Summon an old favorite that requires two non-Tuners to Synchro Summon it, like Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier.
- If you have another Level 5 monster like an Artifact, Galaxy Soldier, or Gem-Knight Seraphinite, you can either Synchro Summon a Level 10 monster like Leo, the Keeper of the Sacred Tree or just straight up Summon Ultimaya Tzolkin.
The possibilities with Sea Monster of Theseus are pretty much endless. The Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME contains thousands of different monsters with which it can be Tuned, and lots of incredible Synchro Monsters that you can Summon by using it as a Synchro Material. One of the best things about it is that it also gives a big power boost to a lot of older Decks that many Duelists enjoy but don’t really play anymore, like Madolche.
Just being a Tuner is already revolutionary, but wait, there’s more! In addition to being a Level 5 Fusion Tuner, Sea Monster of Theseus is also a WATER Attribute Zombie monster, allowing it to take part in even more combos!
Since Sea Monster of Theseus is a Zombie, you can Special Summon it from the Graveyard not only with generic revival cards like Call of the Haunted, Oasis of Dragon Souls, Re-Fusion, and Soul Charge, but also with Zombie-specific Special Summon effects, like Book of Life or the effect of Mezuki. As a WATER monster, Tuning it with another one of your monsters will send it to the Graveyard and help you amass five WATER monsters in your Graveyard to Summon Moulinglacia the Elemental Lord.
Let your imagination run wild with Sea Monster of Theseus! You can include it in your Decks and start testing out the best plays that you can think up after the Raging Tempest Sneak Peek on February 4th and 5th!